Workaround for Digsby’s Facebook authentication error and broken Facebook support
To all Digsby users (ignore this post if you don’t use Digsby):
If you use Digsby with Facebook, you might have noticed that things behave strangely — the program pops up a window looking like this when it tries to connect to Facebook:
Then after you give it your credentials, Digsby still thinks you’re not logged in, and so on.
If you found this page via a google search, there’s a simple hack / workaround you can use to patch up this problem. Basically, instead of using the Facebook protocol to connect, we let Digsby use the Jabber protocol as a ‘proxy’ to connect to Facebook:
- Go to Digsby -> My Accounts and in the Add Accounts section at the top, select the Jabber icon.
- You should get a window that looks like this:
- In the Jabber ID box, put firstname.lastname@example.org, and in the password field, put your facebook password. For example, if your facebook page is at , your Jabber id is email@example.com.
- Remove the facebook account from Digsby
At this point, you’re done: Digsby should give you no more problems about Facebook. However, you can replace the Jabber icon with the Facebook one (this is for purely cosmetic purposes):
- Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Digsby\res\skins\default\serviceicons (that’s the default installation path on my machine, yours may be different)
- Delete jabber.png, duplicate facebook.png, and rename itjabber.png
- Restart Digsby
There you have it — hack accomplished. Gives you chat but sadly no feeds still! Should suffice to most of the users (like me )